Monday, June 25, 2012

  After an an incredible night in the township we spent a whole day in the beautiful South African Winelands. Parts of South Africa are known for its winelands so it was so fun getting to tour two different wineries. First up was J.C. LaRoux, a sparkling winery. Lets just say everyone was pretty giggly when we left. The second place was Vrede en Lust, very fancy and excellent wine.
     That weekend I was supposed to jump out of an airplane (on fathers day, love you dad!). My friends & I woke up and took the train into the city to go but as soon as we got there we were informed that the weather was too cloudy and we couldn't do it unless we had clear skies. Such a disappointment but I'll just have to do it in the States when I'm back! 

     Last week was such an amazing time! We spent the week as counselors at a leadrship camp in Simonstown. The 65 kids that came to us were underprivledged 6th graders from a township outside of Cape Town. They were some of the most incredible little kids I've ever met. The things they have been through are things I can't even imagine and I have so much love for every single one of them. When they arrived, us JWU counselors put on a dance for them and that definitely got them excited for the upcoming week. We sorted the kids into 4 different teams that they'd stay in for the week and made them all really competitive with each other by having team chants (go team SPAIN!) By the end of the day they were all singing their team songs and getting comfortable with us. The activities we did at the camp were really great and most of the activities were stuff they've never gotten to do before. They did archery, a ropes initiative course, climbed a rock wall, swam (in the ice cold pool, its winter here!!!), arts and crafts and played countless sports games like soccer, net ball (basketball), capture the flag, and even a human phooseball game (so much fun)! I was so impressed with how good many of them are at sports and more impressed by how fearless they were, even if they were afraid of the rock wall they all gave it a shot and climbed.
     The second day of camp we had to prep for the camp concert, which is where every group puts on a dance, song, or skit. My team had some issues at first, they're still in their "ew boys have cooties" phase, but they ended up coming together to make this awesome dance all by themselves. I was so incredibly proud of them! We celebrated by making s'mores around the fire, which they loved because they don't make s'mores here. The next morning we were up at 6 am to hike up the mountain the camp is set on. It was pitch dark out when we left so we got to watch the sunrise over the ocean as we journeyed up the mountain. It was such a beautiful start to our day. The kids had loads of activities that day including a fashion show, African drum lessons, a walk to the beach, and sumo wrestling, which was a riot to watch. By the night they were all ready for their big concert! Our kids were doing a mix to four different songs, and one of them was Thriller so they had all this "scary" face paint on it was adorable. When they came into the auditorium we shut all the lights off and threw out candy and glow stick and started a party. Then it came time for them to perform. Watching my group get up and do their dance in front of the whole camp was one of the best things I've ever seen. I was so excited for them and so proud when they pulled it off flawlessly. No one had stage fright and they were so happy when after they were done the rest of the room cheered so loud for them. I've never seen smiles so big!

    After all four of the groups had performed and some gameshow type games were played, we had a little awards ceremony. Each child got presented a certificate and got a t shit from us. Within minutes of getting their shirts they already have pens out and were bombarding us to sign them. Tears were coming from both kids and counselors before anyone knew it. It's so crazy how attached some kids got to all of us within a few short days. When we sent them to bed I knew we had to make Friday, their last day the best!
     The next day we left camp early and took the ferry to Robben Island. Most have them have never been before to the island where former South African president, Nelson Mandela had spent 17 of his 27 year imprisonment so we were all excited. There was so much history there and we took both a bus tour around the island and then a walking tour around the prison where Mandela was held. Mandela was such an amazing leader and did so much for his country that it was so inspiring to be standing in the same place as where he once stood. The tour guide that showed us around had actually been imprisoned there too for many years, and I was so impressed by his eagerness to show us around a place that I'm sure was once hell for him.
                                                           Mandelas prison cell

  We said goodbye to the kids after Robben Island, but no one was too sad because we'll be seeing them again on Monday when we visit their elementary school! I'm so glad I got to spend my week with these children. Not only do I think JWU did a great job teaching them and really connecting with them, but those kids taught me things I will remember for years to come. I know really special things will come from many of them and even if I can't see those amazing things happen I am satisfied with knowing that our group of 20 college students touched the lives of these 6th graders in less than 4 days. I think I can speak for the whole group when I say that I had an amazing time this past week and that I wish I could take everyone of these cutie little kids back to America with me.

                                                 Just some pictures of our Spain kids!









No comments:

Post a Comment