Tuesday, June 5, 2012

“A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." -Lao Tzu

Today I leave for South Africa. It is so insane I am sitting in the airport waiting to board my plane right now because as of two months ago I had no idea this trip would be a reality. I decided to apply to study abroad in South Africa on a whim and once I got accepted I knew I had to go on this trip. I am so grateful and so extremely excited to have this opportunity for this trip of a lifetime. It amazes me the love and support I have recieved from family and friends this past week. To say I am a lucky girl is an understatement, I am truly blessed.


Although I'm not overly excited for this 28 hour flight, I am ecstatic to get on that plane and leave America for the first time ever! It has always been my dream to travel and I'm so glad South Africa will be my first experience out of this country! From jumping out of an airplane to visiting Nelson Mandela's prison cell, cage diving with sharks (My biggest fear! I will be crying the entire time!) to teaching leadership skills at a camp of South African 6th graders, this trip will not only be a great adventure but an amazing learning experience as well. I am keeping an open mind and want to try as many new things as I can. I'm taking a deep breath and taking the first step towards the most exciting thing I have ever done. 
So as they say in Zulu, (one of the many languages spoken in South Africa), Sala kahle. Or as us Americans say, Goodbye! (for now!)

No comments:

Post a Comment